Top Christmas destinations
With Christmas not too far around the corner, what better way to get in the Christmas spirit than spending the weekend away in a city filled with Christmas festivities. But what is actually on offer this year? And where is the best place to go to visit the most impressive winter wonderlands? We have compiled a list of the top activities and Christmas attractions in some of the most beautiful cities across the UK to get you and your family into the true festive spirit…
Starting with the capital, there is no doubt that the bustling city will be jam packed with Christmas celebrations to keep the family entertained for days. From impressive Christmas lights and ice skating to Christmas shows and markets, you can expect a perfect Christmas break away. Starting in late November, the list below outlines our recommendations of things to do in London this Christmas:
- It wouldn’t be Christmas if you didn’t head on down to the spectacular Oxford street Christmas lights, where you can see the most dazzling decorations with the added bonus of also doing your last-minute Christmas shopping!
- Take a trip down, from one of our London hotels to the famous Trafalgar Square to see London’s most impressive Christmas tree and be charmed by the decorations to get you and your family into the festive season.
- Wrap up warm and get yourself and loved ones to Hyde’s Park Winter Wonderland where you can expect to be fully immersed into the festive spirit, including one of the largest Christmas markets in London with ice skating rinks and a Santa's grotto which is perfect for the little ones.
- If you’re a fan of singing then be sure to experience the famous carol services in the big capital - head on over to St Pauls Cathedral where a number of carol services will be running from the 15th until the 25th of December.
Another magical place to visit this Christmas lies in the heart of the north – Manchester! Take a quick Christmas break away to one of the UK’s liveliest cities. Soak up the Christmas atmosphere with a the wide range of activities and find out what’s on offer below:
- Go and get yourself tickets to Elf the musical! With the show previously debuting in London’s West End, you can see this Christmas musical at the Lowry, Salford Quays. The Elf musical will be running from the 25th of November to the7th of January.
- There’s no better place than the winter wonderland indoor theme park at Event City to get everyone excited for Christmas! Manchester wonderland is the UK’s largest indoor winter wonderland theme park and will be running from 9th of December to the 1st January 2018. (Event city can be found next to Intu Trafford Centre)
- A trip to Manchester at Christmas time would not be complete without a visit to the Manchester Christmas markets where you can find festive market stalls, copious amounts of mulled wine and a skating rink. The markets will be returning this year from November the 10th to the 21st of December so be sure not to miss out and book to stay at one of our hotels in Manchester!
If your visiting Warwick at Christmas then visiting Warwick castle is a must! Take a look below to see what's on offer:
- Visit the Castle from 25th of November till the 31st of December. Named as one of the most picturesque places to go at Christmas, you can enjoy ‘Stories with Santa’, ‘Santa’s Staley Breakfast’ and a Winter birds of prey show. Christmas at Warwick castle has been named one of the best Christmas grottos to visit in the Midlands!
- Another great place to visit during the Christmas period is at the Warwick Victorian evening where the major of Warwick will be switching the town’s Christmas lights on Thursday 30th November. You can be sure to find a traditional steam powered carousel, a Santa’s grotto and plenty of rides for the kids to play on, getting everyone ready for the festive season!
Take a Christmas break away in the port town of Folkstone, where you can enjoy Christmas celebrations and immerse yourself into the festive season! Make the most of the seaside location and add some sparkle into your break away by visiting some of these place:
- Our hotel in Folkstone organises daily trips across the channel to France from Dover, so why not experience all the festivities available in the heart of Paris, France and enjoy the Christmas celebrations in French style!
- If you want to stay closer to home then fear not! Get your ski’s on at the dry ski slopes in Folkestone where you can snowboard, ski and toboggan your way into Christmas. The slopes can be found at Folkestone’s Ski Centre and start from beginners all the way to experts, so there is something for everyone! Get yourself down there from 10am to 10pm on weekdays and 10am to 6pm on weekends.
Liverpool is known for holding one of the best Christmas markets in the UK with an ever-expanding array of Christmas festivities. From an ice festival, to German Christmas markets and glittering lights, there is no doubt that Liverpool is Christmas wonderland. With many things to choose from the list below shows just a few of some of the magical things to do this Christmas in Liverpool:
- Make a visit to the spectacular Liverpool Christmas Ice Festival at Liverpool's Pier Head, consisting of a super-sized triple-lane ice slide, a large ice rink, giant Ferris wheel and 50 traditional German market stalls!
- Enjoy drinks at the Ice Bar with a sub-zero room which can be visited from November 17th through to Christmas and New Year until January 7th.
- Discover the 30-metre Christmas tree at Liverpool ONE with the annual Christmas lights appearing on Paradise Street.
- Enjoy a family trip out of town and experience a Victorian Christmas at Speke Hall, where you can visit a reindeer trail and be treated to carols in the courtyard! Tickets are available for November 25th and 26th and from December 2nd, 3th and 9th.
- A Fan of Home Alone? Then enjoy a drink at the new Home Alone Christmas Bar available in Liverpool city centre, head over to Cains Brewery Village, Baltic Triangle to experience a festive night!
Click here for more information on our Festive Breaks