Southport's Pier is 3,600ft long and dates back to 1860 making it the oldest surviving iron Pier and the second longest in the UK.
On 18th September 1897 the original pavilion was destroyed in a fire, it was replaced by a much grander affair in 1902. In 1903 the original 1864 entrance buildings were demolished and redeveloped.
The restoration of South Pier has been completed in two phases. The restoration of the main structure, along with the building of a new pavilion to house an interpretation centre. The second phase will effectively 'fit' the pier out, providing a new pier tram, deck lighting, restoration of the Victorian Shelters, completion of the Intrpretation Centre, and the construction of a new entrance.
Southport attracts visitors from all around the UK for many years and more to come!